Pep Talks from the little voice in my head.

Random thoughts I have during the day, things I'm trying to work out in my head.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

No more resolutions

So the way I see it, I'm always trying to better myself. Every day I'm trying to do better than the day before. A new year does seem like a good way to get on track and let's face it, all of the people trying to make positive changes at one time is invigorating. I catch a little bit of that fever and work a bit harder during this first month of the year and that's a good thing.

I'm always a little amazed at how much I can fit under the carpet. You know...we sweep things under the carpet basically to deal with later. Like the boxes of food that expired up on the top shelf of my pantry where I can't reach unless I climb up on the counter. Yep, all 222 pounds of me climbs one knee at a time up onto the counter, straddles the microwave and grabs an item out of the top shelf. I then try to careful get onto my knees and bounce carefully onto the floor. OUCH. I don't remember the bottom of my feet hurting like this when I hopped out of trees at seven or over walls at 13. So, last night, I threw away three grocery bags of food that was expired. Some of it over a year ago. This is especially upsetting when you consider that of the last 24 months my husband has been unemployed for 15 of them. We can't afford to waste that stuff. So, now to figure out a solution that works better in my tiny kitchen. Basically, if I can reach it, I am more likely to use it.

I'm also back to using the Flylady system. It's helped me in the past and I know that if I work the system, I won't be embarrassed when everyone comes to my house for my 40th birthday party next month. If you haven't heard of it...check it out. It works for me www.flylady.net I also have joined a facebook support group that keeps me motivated. Seeing them make progress, makes me know that if I keep at it, I can have a pretty home too. I just feel better when the sink is empty and clean, the bathroom is clean and the floors are picked up. I've assigned tasks to each kid and they have to do them before they can use electronics or go out with their friends. It's working!

Another system that has worked for me in the past is the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos. I know they work for me, I should be thin by now. But that is stinkin' thinkin' and I can't change the past, only today. I still can't find my videos though so I ordered new ones. They will be here in 10 days. Ten days that I don't want to waste so I turned to youtube. I couldn't make out any expressions or facial features but I could make out the moves and it felt so good to do that one mile express video with the super challenge. I was moving and sweating and making progress to a newer better me. Now I just have to make myself do it again tonight and tomorrow and so on. It all starts by taking that step today though.

For me to be successful in reaching a goal, I have to have something to motivate me. The last time I lost 20 pounds, it was to be in a wedding for a friend. I bought the dress and it came in the mail, and was a bit tighter than I'd hoped. So off to the gym I went, and I was consistent with portion control. Then the wedding was over and I made excuses and I never went back, even though I've been paying $25 a month for the past two years for a gym I don't visit. This time my goal is my 40th birthday party, with a mini goal of an office party that I already have the dress for two weeks from now.

I really wish I had a house, with a yard. So, I went looking and while I can't afford to buy a house, I can afford a house to rent. I just need to pay off $10,000 in medical collections and make sure I am on time with my student loan payments. I've seen Dave Ramsey's system work for many friends and so I'm working with that. Even if I only send $1 to each collector each month, I am going to pay it off. I have found a template to use that I'm sending to each creditor as I get up the money to pay what I'm offering and hoping they will agree to settle for less. So far, I've sent one of the letters and I'm waiting for the response. I'm hopeful. We'll see.

So there it is, I'm human and weak and inconsistent, but I'm not letting myself make excuses anymore. It is what it is, I always say. So, today I will work on today and tomorrow I will work on making tomorrow better than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment