Pep Talks from the little voice in my head.

Random thoughts I have during the day, things I'm trying to work out in my head.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

We got the Christmas tree up

The tree is up, it was nice to watch each ornament come out of the box and the kids put them on the tree. Each has a special memory but some aren't aging well. The lights with ornament type covers that we had on our first little Charlie Brown Christmas tree no longer lit up, we had to cut the plug end off and use it as just decor. It was a bit sad and a few of the other ornaments were chipped but we just have such fond memories from getting a new one each year. Every year before we pull out the ornaments I get this urge to buy some fancy ornaments to use instead of our regulars and then we pull out our box and I get that wonderful feeling that makes it start to feel like Christmas. I responded to a post about a fond Christmas memory and wanted to place my answer here.

"sleepovers at Grandma's house with all the cousins sleeping on egg crate mattresses and covered with handmade quilts and even though I know we woke up and opened our stockings the next morning, I remember the closet full of quilts and sleeping over the most fondly."

I go back to this memory every time I see a quilt or egg crate mattress. What fond memories am I creating for my children? What can I do to make them excited to bring their children to my home someday? I think I've been too lazy in the Christmas department...time to make an effort, time to step out of my comfort zone and do something that will bring a smile to my kiddos' faces. Hmm...I think I'm going to pull out that list of cookie recipes my friend made and maybe attempt some banana bread or poppy seed muffins. Instead of candle scents, I'm going to fill my home with real scents of Christmas.

I'd love to learn to quilt and have a closet full of them so my Grandchildren can come to my house in future years and pick out their favorite quilt. I met a lady at the park last week who told me she taught herself to quilt using youtube, maybe I should make that a hobby to work on next year.

What do you do to make fond memories for your family? What is your favorite memory from your childhood related to Christmas time?

No comments:

Post a Comment