Pep Talks from the little voice in my head.

Random thoughts I have during the day, things I'm trying to work out in my head.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Don't be Discouraged. Change is Possible.

I often hear people say that if you don't like your life, you should change it. It sounds so simple, as if we can just make a decision and BAM! everything will be different. It isn't that simple. You can make the decision and then take steps to make positive changes in your life though. Recently I tried to tell this to a lifelong friend and she decided to remove me from her life. At first I was stunned and hurt and wanted to stop trying to help people. I want to help people not push them away. Then I realized that there are many more people that I'm meant to help and that for now, at least, this lady and I are meant to go our separate ways.

If you've read my prior posts you know that I've had a lot of drama in my life. My marriage has been a challenge, my credit is a disaster, my home is usually a mess and my kids are often struggling in school or with medical issues. I've allowed this to be an excuse so many times. I've allowed it to keep me from having the life that I want. NO MORE! I will continue to make changes that improve my life and one day I will get to a place in my life where I will be able to say that I'm where I want to be. Wait, who am I kidding, I'm never going to stop wanting something better. Let's just say that I will be doing better than I am today. That has become my mantra, that I am not competing with anyone, just doing better today than I did yesterday and tomorrow than I did today. That can only lead to better things. It's all in our attitude and perspective. Do you have a can-do attitude or do you allow all of the things that could go wrong keep you from even getting started?

Change happens when you form good habits. That takes time, it won't happen over night for most people. There have been times where I have been able to say "I'm never going to do that again" and stuck with it but for the most part I have to work on changes. I've recommended www.flylady.net many times for this reason. She teaches you to take baby steps to make changes in your routines that will help you have a cleaner home but the foundation sets you up for success in other areas of your life as well. The program at www.daveramsey.com also teaches you steps to take to find financial success. Both of these sites were a major part of helping me to make positive changes. I've recommended listening to podcasts by life coaches as well. This is FREE therapy. These people have taught me that I do need to take time for myself, to get out and go to lunch or dinner with friends, take my husband to happy hour for a drink and cheap appetizers, go for a walk on the beach, read a book. Whatever it is that you enjoy, take time to do it. This will recharge you and make you a better wife, mother, employee.

One of the biggest things that I have fought is routines. I did not want to be that strict mom who is unbending and never lets the kids relax and have fun. Wow was I an idiot! My children want routines, they crave structure, they succeed when there are solid rules and plans in place. They want to have dinner at a set time and while they may balk at having only an hour of time to use electronics after homework is done, they are becoming successful in their school work and participating in the family and laughing with each other. Chores are starting to be done instead of me complaining that I am being ignored even after the 15th time I have asked them to do something. I am not providing a bunch of junk food. If they don't like everything I make then they can find something I made that they do like and just eat that, or they can make themselves a sandwich. I'm not going to continue to risk our health and serve junk just because they would rather have pizza than salad. We are all going to benefit by eating healthier, even if they do get tired of chicken being served a few times a week. I get tired of it too so I search www.Pinterest.com to find new recipes.

I probably spend more time than I should on social media, I am searching for a better way to live my life and I am finding tidbits here and there that are helping me. I'm trying to get the nerve up to Konmari my home. I sit there looking around my room, wishing that I could just throw it all away and start fresh but afraid to actually let anything go. I grabbed a garbage bag this weekend and headed in to start, and got rid of one blouse and a bunch of clutter from my dresser and night stand, mostly papers that didn't need to be shredded. I have a long way to go, but it all starts with one step and I'm getting there. So can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment